Meta Tags are simply the HTML tags that contains information about a website.
Meta Tags are the foundation of SEO to properly index your website in search engines.
A great tool for webmasters to provide information about their websites to search engines for better SEO ranking
- Meta Tags are special HTML elements that describe the content of a website
- Meta Tags do not appear to the user on the front end but remain in the back end code for readability by search engines.
- Meta Tags can influence search engine ranking of your website hence important to create proper meta tags
- Meta tags should be placed in t Web page you want indexed by the search engines
Example of Meta Tags
<head> <title>Not a Meta Tag, but required anyway </title> <meta name="description" content="Awesome Description Here"> <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html;charset=UTF-8"> </head>
Elements of Meta Tags
Meta Tags consist the following elements
- Title Tag — Important element picked up by search engines and basically the title visible in search engines
- Description Tag — description meta tag that explains explain the content of the site
- Keywords Tag — Keywords meta tag lists the possible keywords of the website. This is almost redundant now with search engines ignoring the keywords tag
Meta Tag Generators
Meta Tag generators take away the hassle of writing the HTML code for the meta tags to simply paste it in the header part of your website.
Several free meta tag generators exist to get the meta tags HTML code.
Metatags generator site is quite simple to use. Just provide the title, description and keywords to generate a HTML code
SEOBook Free Meta Tag Tool is yet another simple generator to use.
Provide the title, description and keywords to generate a ready Meta tags HTML
AddMe meta tags generator comes with some advanced optional meta tags besides the basic meta tag generator for a page.
How do I add Meta Tags to WordPress?
Meta tags in WordPress is quite an easy task, thanks to Yoast SEO plugin.
After installing Yoast SEO plugin, Go to your Home Page editor and add the meta tags title and description here.
Alternatively, you can generate meta tags from any of the generators above and place them in the header.php file found in WordPress theme editor
Copy the meta tags from the generator above and place in the header file as shown below between <head> section