Website is a must for every business in today’s digital world.
You want to earn money online so you require a website to join affiliate programs and do an online marketing of products and services.
Or you would require a website for your business that serves as a corporate identity, speaks what you are as a brand.
Creating a Website
Creating a website is much easier than you think, thanks to multiple tools available on the internet.
You do not need to possess any technical skills to create a website.
In this complete beginner’s guide on How To set up a website, you’ll learn everything you require to create and manage a highly successful website.
Step 1: Decide Upon The Right Platform
You can choose to build the website using a content management system or a website builder.
Content Management System
In simple terms,
Content is managed by yourself without writing HTML code for pages. Everything is managed through the user interface you choose.
Previously, you have to develop website from scratch using HTML and required complex design skills.
Examples of popular content management systems
Pros’ and Cons’ of content management systems
- No need to code the website from scratch
- Easy to create look and feel through a wide variety of ready themes
- Scalability options for choosing a perfect hosting plan
- Ability to customize the site later if required
- Functionality can be limited by the selection of template (theme)
- No free technical support
- Additional costs might be required to extend the site
WordPress is the easy and best choice for content management system
Website builder is the best suitable choice for beginners.
The builders includes an inclusive package which comes with a domain, hosting, template, editor, email and support.
Popular website builders are Wix, Weebly and shopify.
- Technical tasks such as setting up domain, hosting are all taken care of
- No technical coding knowledge required
- Easy to create the website through ready templates
- Not flexible enough compared to content management system
- Dependent on the website builder
- Adding extra features might be difficult
Wix is considered the easy and best choice among website builders. Shopify is recommended only if your site is an ecommerce site.
Step 2: Domain and Hosting
The next step in the website setup is choosing a domain and hosting service.
Domain name is nothing but an identity of the address in the internet.
Hosting means the server where your website files are stored and distributed.
The domain and hosting can be purchased from companies like GoDaddy, BlueHost.
Blue Host is considered the best for beginner websites on WordPress. It offers free domain along with hosting so you don’t incur additional charges.
Step 1: Go to Bluehost.com
Go to Blue Host and Choose hosting plan.
Step 2: Sign up for Hosting
In the next page, you will be asked to create a new domain name. If you have existing domain, enter the name in existing domain field or else choose new domain.
You’ll then be directed to fill in the basic account information
In the same page select your package and your payment information. The account is now created. You’ll get a confirmation of your account details in your registered email address
Step 3: Website Setup
Step 1: 1-Click Installer for WordPress
Use the 1-Click WordPress Installation in your blue host account to complete setup of WordPress in simple steps.
- Login to
bluehostand go to My Sites.
- Click Create Site
- You’ll be asked to provide name and tagline (optional). Click Next
- Choose your domain from
dropdown and leave directory as is. Click Next
- That’s it. Blue Host will complete
setupof your website.
- You’ll receive an email with your WordPress login information.
Step 2: Theme Selection
The final step in your website setup is choosing the right theme for your website and doing basic configuration.
- Log in to WordPress Admin panel using http://yourdomain.com/wp-admin
- You’ll be redirected to WordPress Dashboard
- Go to Appearance ==> Themes
You’ll find thousands of themes to choose from the free marketplace.
You can either choose from the available free themes or head to Theme forest, where you’ll find great quality premium themes to purchase.
Choose Install from the selected free themes or click upload New theme to upload your purchased theme.
That’s it. Your brand new website is ready to use. I’ll update this post with the configuration steps and many more tricks in future.